For many, the March 16 mass shooting in Atlanta brought visibility to a knowledge gap related to the heritage and experience of Asian, Pacific Islander, and Desi Americans (APIDA), especially those who identify as women.
It may also have prompted a desire to do something to support these communities.
- Celebrate the many cultures within umbrella terms such as “Asian Americans” and highlight the intersectionality with other marginalized identities.
- Learn about the long history of violence and discrimination against the APIDA community and that of the past year.
- Take action when you see harassment by intervening and reporting.
- Continue to check in with colleagues and students in a way that doesn’t require their additional emotional labor. Realize they might not respond.
- Educate others and share ways to show support.