Graduate students serving on the Conference Management Team join the staff and volunteers to assist in the implementation of the Annual Conference. Through this opportunity, members develop long-lasting relationships with peers, build professional connections through interactions with ACUI members, learn about the mission and operations of a higher education professional association, and develop skills in large event management, communication, problem solving, and customer service.
Reporting to the ACUI educational program manager, team members will be responsible for:
- Participating in staff training and meetings
- Preparing registration materials and assisting with on-site registration
- Assisting with the setup, staffing, and packing of the conference office
- Performing checks of room, audio-visual, and equipment setups
- Managing traffic flow at conference events and educational sessions
- Serving as a resource to conference delegates
- Assisting in the preparation of projects and tasks for conference onsite
ACUI will provide selected team members with: conference registration; hotel accommodations (quad occupancy with other students from the team); the opportunity to meet and work with the ACUI Central Office staff, ACUI leadership, and conference planning volunteers; and an experience that will be treasured personally and professionally.
Selected individuals are responsible for:
- Arranging transportation to and from the conference hotel in Anaheim.
- Arriving by 3 p.m. on March 18, 2018, and not departing until midday on March 25, 2018.
At the time of application, individuals must be a degree-seeking master's level graduate student in higher education, student affairs, or a related field who is not a full-time employee at the institution; involved in a college union/student activities department; and committed to fulfilling the duties of the position for the length of the term. Applicants must also demonstrate an understanding of ACUI’s vision, core values, and core competencies, as well as the knowledge and skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
Conference Management Team members are expected to participate in several conference calls during months leading up to the conference—typically January, February, and March. All must be able to arrive on site at the conference hotel in the host city several days before the start of the conference and depart the day after—being in Anaheim from March 18–25, 2018.
All application materials must be submitted electronically by Noon Eastern on December 8. Required materials include:
- Responses to application questions;
- A current resume;
- Two reference letters, one of which must be from an ACUI professional member.
A screening committee made up of the staff liaison and related volunteers will review applications, interview qualified candidates, and make a selection recommendation.